Thursday, September 8, 2016

paint for the paint god

Welcome fellow bad decision makers!

The warm leather couch welcomes my posterior again while I was laying my paints across the table.  Once again I am faced with a decision.... Star Trek, or Harry Potter movie marathon.  Now that I forced an internal conflict within myself and hopefully my readers I am faced with an undeniable, fact that I have no idea what I am doing.  Adepticon is 7ish months away and we still have not figured out a paint scheme that works.  

Below you can see a picture of my hopes and dreams; basically my first full test unit.  The skin is four types of blue and a blue wash.  Blue is such an unpleasant color to paint not because of the color, but more because of the GW color options.

Hmm looks like the teeth need another highlight.  The Skin too
Let me tell you why GW blue is the dagger in my heart.  With Red games workshop has a really good color blend.  Start base Khorne Red -> drybrush Wazdakka Red->drybrush Evil Sunz Scarlet-> highlight Troll Slayer Orange.  This is a perfect progression of a red base all the way up to a bright highlight.  If you follow that color trend you will get beautiful demon skin; note early in the painting process you will need a good wash to bring out all that muscle definition. 

Now Blue.  Kantor Blue,->Aldorf Guard Blue-> Caldor Sky blue is the best progression of blue GW has.  The issue being that their end color being way too dark.  So this leaves me with a predicament.  Either find a game store nearby that would give me a better progression of blue or I need to start mixing white with blue.  I hate hate hate hate mixing, I would rather hit my hand with a hammer than mix.  Mostly because if you ever need to go back to painting those models you have to perform another mix and they don't always match 100%.


We talked about skin.  Let's talk about fire.  Games workshop has a pretty sweet tutorial about fire when going over the bloodthirster model.  I honestly don't like their fire.  If you squint really hard and cross your eyes you can make out my effort to paint fire the GW way.  My major issue with it games workshop fire is the lack of depth when I paint it.  What I want to do is paint my fire like I painted my Khorne skin.  Look below at how I did fire.


So how do you like the blue skin?  Any ideas on what would make it better.  Right now is your chance to change how Team Bad Decisions paints our models. 

I am traveling again for work.  I will be back in town late this month.  Maybe when I come back and my world is not falling apart I can make some more progress on test models.  See y'all next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment